Sunday, February 26, 2012

You've got to have friends...

When I was asked to be part of the Covenant Health Biggest Winner  Weight Loss Challenge I knew to expect some things:

I knew I would have to work out...that was a given.
I knew I would have to walk on Saturdays..that was expected.
I knew I would have to watch what I ate and log my activity..that was a no-brainer.

What I did not expect was that I would come to know and adore each and every member of my team mates...that was an unexpected but very welcome surprise on this journey and I have been truly blessed by each of them.

 
 On Saturday we were to "go it alone" and decided to walk from Cherokee Blvd and then the last half of the half marathon. My walking buddies were Darla, her friend (oh phooey, I can't remember her name) and their dogs, and also Mel and Amanda.  This day also just happens to be my birthday and Amanda made me some delicious  low-fat blueberry muffins (with real blueberries no less). She and I met at Neyland and drove over to the church at Cherokee Boulevard. We parked our cars, waited for the others and then off we went.

This was my second time walking Cherokee Boulevard and I have to say it's as long as I remembered...but we walked to the end of that road and then up the dreaded Noelton Hill, then on the 3rd creek greenway...down to Tyson Park...up the Cumberland Strip, up around Fort Sanders back by World's Fair Park and then mercifully, to Neyland Stadium. In all we covered 10.36 miles.

I'll admit that I struggled with the final miles of this particular walk. My feet and I are not on good terms still today on Sunday.

 That same evening, my team mates and I had dinner to celebrate my birthday. It was fun being together outside a gym and with our feet up, so to speak.

Each of us are unique and different but as Darla says "We're so freakin' cool" :) (Darla makes me feel like a rock star).  

Our walks have become "Therapy" sessions that I personally look forward to. Trust me, you get to know someone after walking 30 to 40 miles with them. I have also come to know and love Edee. She is such an inspiration to me..plus, she's "So Freakin' Cool".   On Saturday, she hand cycled up Noelton Hill and made it to the top with no problems.


This past Thursday we met at Fort Sanders Fitness Center to train with trainer and Life Coach Chris O'Hearn. We did some new routines and some old ones and this time, we had to do them about a minute longer. Since time management is my business, I can tell you that I felt each and every second and was about to cry "Uncle" after our first go-around. By the half-way point, I literally couldn't use my arms (there were no "high fives" for this girl).

The last half of the hour we spent walking around the track with the last person rushing to become the first and we could be heard laughing all over the building.

And that's just what all of this it has been: Weeks of working out, walking (or running) and lots and lots of laughter. Each of these folks have become a bright addition to my life and I am grateful to God that I have been able to know them.

As for the future..it's kind of bittersweet. I know that the Half-Marathon will be over on April 1. Most of us have agreed to keep meeting on Saturdays to keep walking. I hope we can keep meeting because these folks have become like family. They say you can learn a lot about someone by walking a mile in their shoes. Well, I've walked upwards of 30 miles with these folks and have enjoyed every step of the way.

You can become our friends on our Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment