Monday, April 2, 2012

"Gonna Fly Now" Part I

Well, the company has left and the house is now quiet. In the past 24 hours  I've had a few hot baths, a massage, massive amounts of ibuprofen and some frozen yogurt and am now somewhat back to normal following yesterday's finish of the Half Marathon. Tonight, I'm left with just my thoughts about how to answer the  question that most of us have after accomplishing something: Now what?

 I would be lying if I said I was happy to see it all come to an end. Mind you, I was thrilled to see the finish line yesterday...

I think that smile and clapping pretty much says it all :)

 But as challenging as the weeks of training, working out, dieting and trying to overcome physical and emotional challenges has been...this is the toughest part of the being on the Biggest Winner team: It's time for it to end. Just as a mama bird nudges the baby birds out of her nest..we are going to have to fly now.

 Some of my team mates (myself included) have talked A LOT about what we're going to do now. I know some will go off and do it alone while others, like myself, hope to still keep meeting and supporting each other. I truly hope we do. 

But the fact of it is that we are now going to have to find our own way to keep going (if we choose to do so) towards winning our weight battle. It's not going to be easy--I know this--but it's going to be worth it. I have worked too hard to not keep going. I took the before and after pictures of myself (from the day we started to the week we finished) and I titled the album "Phase One". I see this as being the first phase in what will, I hope, be a successful weight loss. They've given me the tools..it's my job now to use them.


 I want to thank all of my team mates for being such a blessing to me.





Amanda, Mel, Mike, Myself & Darla after receiving our medals following our walking the 1/2 marathon


Thank you, Edee--for telling that mountain to get out of your way...you faced your challenges head on with strength, bravery and most of all, determination
Thank you, Randy-For being a really great teammate and an even better father. I am so proud of how far you've come, it's been exciting watching you absorb all the information you've been given and turn it around to help others and inspire them to see that anyone, at any age or size, can make positive changes in their lives..and inspire their family and friends to do the same thing.

Thank you, Hugh-For not giving up. Hugh faced many challenges in these past few weeks that would make any one else give up. But despite all of the set backs, he kept going. He should be proud of all that he accomplished.

Thank you, Arielle-For being our beautiful-and-vocal cheerleader. If you ever want to take on a challenge head-on, make sure this girl is in your corner! She will make you laugh, make you feel strong and make you feel appreciated all at the same time. She's a truly special lady.

Thank you, Mike-For being a caring person and a true father-figure. From day 1 Mike was always asking if I was okay (I had walking pneumonia the first day we all met) and he's been checking on me ever since. During our walks he's listened to our problems, offered sound advice, talked proudly about his family and made us laugh with his stories. The day they told him how his cholesterol and blood work had changed for the better, I almost cried because you could see the pride and excitement on his face. Mike should be proud of himself, he's taken his life back.

Thank you, Darla--for being freakin' awesome! I've enjoyed getting to know you and your positive attitude. Some of my favorite moments have been dancing with you in Zumba and Hip-Hop. I know this is only the beginning for your journey. You're a strong, fierce and amazing woman. P.S., Your dog Zombie is one of the best dogs, ever!

Thank you, Melody-for making me laugh..and laugh..and laugh and laugh. Your story of surviving a car accident is enough to inspire anyone but just knowing all that you've overcome and seeing your tenacity and dedication to lose weight has simply been amazing. You've discovered a lot about yourself on this journey and I know you will continue to amaze others. You got this!

Thank you, Amanda-for being "She who does not runs" and thank God you don't run because I would have been very lonely. We have taken every step of this journey together and I can't thank you enough for it. We've shared our life stories, our laughs, our tears and I can't even begin to sum up how much knowing you has made my life better.  I thank you for being such an inspiration to others--especially myself.

Thank you, Coach Missy-for showing me that exercise can be fun and pictures should always be taken. Missy has enough energy for the entire team, but the fact that she cares so much about each and every one of us. It's amazing to see her work...she really is incredible. Thank you for showing me that there is a pay off to exercise and that you can modify it to make sure everyone can do it. She's like a healthy gardener..planting seeds of healthy living and watching it grow.

Thanks to all my friends at work who have inspired me, cheered me on and kept me going during days when I wanted to just give up!

To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. You all have been the most amazing support system anyone could ask for! I agree...so, what's next?! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog and cheering you on from here in Massachusetts. Congratulations! This is a first big step, with lots more steps to follow. I know you can do it.
    And I love the clap you gave yourself at the end. Well-deserved.
    Good luck!

    I'm Lou Megliola's sister, Philomena

    ReplyDelete