Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Gonna Fly Now" Part II

Many of you would like to know what it's like to walk 13.1 miles at one time. My answer would be that it's not easy..but well worth every single step.

We started early Sunday morning at the Knoxville Convention Center. I met up with my team and we took tons of photos (as usual) and then started off. At first I was so excited that I started jogging..but Coach Kane reminded me that it might not be such a good idea to over do it 1 mile into a 13 mile adventure. I'm so glad she did that.

Our walk started off with just Amanda and I (Melody and Mike took off as soon as folks started running) and we were thrilled when we caught up with Darla. The three of us were the proverbial tortoise...moving along slow and steady.

I want to be very clear that I never, ever really cared about my time in finishing this half-marathon..I wanted to finish..I wanted to have fun and I wanted to rejoice in a day the Lord had made.  In the future I might actually start worrying about my time and trying to do better but this first half-marathon was about completion, plain and simple.

 This first part around the U.T. Campus and Neyland was not unfamiliar to Amanda and I ...last February we did a "practice run" of the course with my co-worker Julie.



Photo taken in February on Neyland Dr.



  This time was much different..we were all hyped up on adrenaline and excitement from the crowds. I was told not to do anything different on race day. So, I ate the same foods, got the same amount of sleep and wore the same clothes (well, sort of).

Thursday before the marathon, Melody, Amanda, Darla and I decided to make Team t-shirts  and bought 4 super-bright pink shirts at A.C. Moore, and the goods to iron on our favorite sayings. Since we all agreed we would plan on doing another 1/2 marathon, we all chose to say *Insert name here's* First 13.1 (or half marathon) and on the back we chose our favorite sayings/or other inspirations.

I chose "Gonna Fly Now" (Because co-worker  Emily and I sing the theme to "Rocky" when we walk the stairs and Philippians 4:13 because it's the Bible verse that gets me through challenges).

When we got to Cherokee Boulevard, we caught up with Coach Kane (who had been walking with Mel and Mike and snapping pictures of them. By now, I was already a bit tired, but I knew the party on Noelton would be worth it and they didn't disappoint.  I had a great time talking with residents and dancing to the music.....



I might have been doing a little strutting up Noelton Hill (well, wheezing and strutting and clapping and wheezing )

 the real highlight was co-worker Mike who was waiting, in his bathrobe, for us to get to the top of the hill (in front of his house). He had confetti, flowers (for me to give to my aunt, cousin & grandmother) and a sign on his door.




 I stopped briefly to take a photo with him.


 After we climbed Noelton, it was time to hit the greenway behind Fresh Market...and I have to admit this was probably the toughest part of the route for me. I have walked the greenway at least 3-4 times by now but for some reason, on this day, it was as if I had never been there before. I don't know if it was the excitement of the day, the fact that  I was tired or that the leaves were now on the trees but on this day, I was completely lost.
As we neared Tyson Park however, things began to look up. First--there was a sign that caught our attention..."Sexy & I know it"...mostly because Mel is always singing or references that song and making us laugh. Naturally, we had to take a picture with it.


Shortly after this picture was taken we came across what was EASILY the best entertainment on the route (granted, by the time we got to the other entertainment, they were packing up) but a big thanks to the group dressed in LMFAO style clothes/wigs and playing "Sexy & I know It" because they gave us that extra boost we needed. Heck, we did some dancing....if dancing with cute boys in wigs is wrong..I don't wanna be right!!



By now, my feet were beginning to hurt a lot and this is probably where I would have cried "Uncle" but out of nowhere I saw my cousin and uncle walking towards us. They came to walk with the group for a while.  I can't ever begin to tell them how much I appreciated them walking with us because it got me all excited again.  We walked through the Fort Sanders area and got to see my aunt and grandmother who were waiting on the route to cheer me on (my family had some from out of town for this--how lucky am I?)
This was certainly the encouragement I needed to finish this thing!!

 As we closed in on Neyland Stadium we saw our team mate Mike and caught up with him. It was so exciting to see him and know that we would finish together.



 By the last mile, I was losing steam-and fast. Unfortunately, I had to take a quick "Pit Stop" which separated me me from my team mates  and upset me a great deal.

 From day 1, we walking ladies had talked about how we wouldn't leave anyone behind..a sort of "Band of Sisters" pledge if you will that started out as a joke but now, as we came down to the wire, became a very real and serious vow to me.

 As I was walking towards the end of the half, I could see Darla & Amanda (really we were all  hard to miss in those pink shirts) up ahead and I said to myself , "You've got to catch up". I told Missy of my plan, she wished me well and I took off...I didn't run fast and certainly not too far but I caught up with Mike, Darla and Amanda and we crossed the finish line (it was 4 hours and I don't really know how many minutes--truth is, I really don't care because I finished. Period.)


  I can honestly say crossing that finish line was, without a doubt, one of the most exciting, thrilling and rewarding thing I have ever done. On that day, I fulfilled a promise that I had made to myself. I received a medal for completing the half-marathon but I earned the medal for the hard work that I put into getting there in the first place.



 In the days since,  I've been told by some people that they could never, ever walk or run 13.1 miles. I know how they feel because I used to feel the same way.

But I am living proof that it is NEVER, ever too late to try something new, never too late to push yourself way past your comfort level and strive to do something more.  Honestly, if I can do it..you certainly can..you just have to take one small step...and then a giant leap of faith...in yourself

"I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me"
Philippians 4:13


 

3 comments:

  1. Other than crossing the finish line-- I have to say that the festivities at Mike's were the highlight of the course! The confetti machine, the sign, and the bathrobe ... that is a true friend who is incredibly proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now having time to read this (and crying on my couch in the dark because AJ is still sleeping). I am so very very proud of what you have accomplished and that you had such a great team of support there to get you through. Love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete